Log in or Register for enhanced features | Forgotten Password?
White Papers | Suppliers | Events | Report Store | Companies | Dining Club | Videos

Oil & Gas
Transportation & Storage
Return to: EBR Home | Oil & Gas | Transportation & Storage

US FERC approves partial operation of $4.22bn Rover Pipeline in Ohio

EBR Staff Writer Published 01 September 2017

The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in the US has approved Energy Transfer Partners’ request to put Phase 1A of the $4.22bn Rover Pipeline into service.

As a result of the approval, the Phase 1A of the interstate natural gas pipeline system will commence transmission of natural gas service from Cadiz to Defiance in Ohio State.

Nearly 1147km in length, the Rover Pipeline has been designed to have a capacity of 3.25 billion cubic feet of natural gas per day.

It will transport natural gas to the US and Canada from processing plants located in the Marcellus and Utica Shale areas. A total of 12 locations across West Virginia, Eastern Ohio and Western Pennsylvania will serve as the source of natural gas for the Rover Pipeline.

The natural gas from the Rover Pipeline will be sold in the Midwest, Northeast, Gulf Coast, East Coast and Canada.

According to Energy Transfer, the pipeline will provide direct deliveries to Ohio, Michigan and West Virginia in the US, and also to the Union Gas Dawn Hub in the Canadian province of Ontario.

In February, Energy Transfer Partners had received the FERC approval for the construction and operation of the Rover Pipeline Project.

The Rover Pipeline project will see construction of an underground pipeline along with it eight supply laterals. It will also feature three mainlines comprising a couple of mainlines along with a market segment.

The natural gas project will also need six new compressor stations to be built with an estimated capacity of 73,300hp. They are being planned to come up in Doddridge and Marshall Counties in West Virginia, Noble, Monroe and Harrison counties in Ohio, and the Washington County in Pennsylvania.

Earlier this month, Energy Transfer Partners agreed to sell 32.44% of its stake in HoldCo, the company associated with the Rover pipeline project to Blackstone for $1.57bn. After completion of the transaction, Energy Transfer will own 50.1% stake in HoldCo, while Blackstone will hold the remainder 49.9% stake.